Salt Lake City is known for its beautiful mountains that encircle the valley and great skiing. Nevertheless, on the average day out on the town Salt Lake has so many great attractions if you’re not in the mood for a day in the mountains or on the slopes.
Here is our list of the best attractions in Salt Lake City.
- Let’s start with our personal favorite, Red Butte Gardens. Red Butte Gardens is roughly 100 acres of beautiful foothills that sits at the base of the Wasatch Mountains, just east of the University of Utah. These botanical gardens have been welcoming visitors since 1985. Although only 18 acres have been developed the other 78 acres are available for guests to go hiking through the many trails that lead out of the gardens. If you’re looking for a quick escape out of the city we suggest spending time on a wooden swing in Red Butte Gardens.
- Another popular attraction that is probably a little more kid friendly is Tracey Aviary. Located on the southwest corner of Liberty Park the Aviary is home to over 20 species of birds ranging from rare and tropical to mountainous Eagles. When you’re done at the aviary you can stroll through Liberty Park, grab a snack, and take a ride on the peddle boats around the pond located in the center of the park. Oh yeah, did we also mention that the entire park has free Wi-Fi?
- The Natural History Museum is located near Red Butte Gardens and is a great place to see ancient artifacts found around Utah. The museum also has great displays of incredible animals to the art of the Native American tribes that once roamed this great state.
- If you’re looking for more of a historical tour of Salt Lake we suggest starting your day off at the Salt Lake Temple. From there you have access to many visitor’s centers that have a lot of history of how Utah was founded. The grounds of the temple are very well kept all year round. If you’re visiting during the winter don’t miss the incredible Christmas light display around the temple. If you’re visiting in the spring or summer then taking a stroll through the flower gardens is an ultimate must!
- If you’re looking for a bit of shopping or a place to grab a nice dinner we recommend taking a stroll through City Creek Center. Not only does this shopping center have a great selection of shops to browse, it also has a beautiful atmosphere. With a quaint stream running through the middle of the center, City Creek can be enjoyed during any type of weather thanks to its retractable roof!
Subscribe to our blog to stay in touch with the latest happenings of Salt Lake. We’ll also be posting a post all about the natural attractions of Salt Lake, so make sure you don’t miss it!